Re: Mini VTTC--Possible tubes?

> > > Hi,
> > > I have decided to start a VTTC.I was wondering,what sorta tube is
> needed?I
> > > want the smallest and cheapest possible tube to start with.Can someone
> give
> > > me a list of possible tubes?Or what do i need to look for?
> > >
> > > Thanks so much,
> > > Matt

	In addition to traditional RF power tubes, almost ANY audio power or TV
sweep tube capable of 10 or 20 watts output will work just fine, so you
have a wide selection of potential sources.  A lot of these now go for
incredible prices because of the interest of audiophiles (audio
snobs/nuts to me) who debate at great lengths over the relative merits
of "triode" sounds compared to "pentode sounds", etc. etc.  You can even
buy HI FI coupling capacitors and resistors to improve your tone
quality.  (If you are a true believer!)  Look around the web and you'll
find a lot of guys selling suitable tubes, some at quite reasonable
prices.  Power triodes are easier to use than power tetrodes or
pentodes, but somewhat pricier now because of the supposed superiority
of "the triode sound".

	One source of greatly over priced tubes is Vacuum Tube Alley
(www.vacuumtube-dot-com).  Go there to see what kind of tubes are generally
available, then look at their exhorbitant prices and have a good laugh.
Anything else will be cheaper.  A much better source is Antique
Electronic Supply in Tempe, Arizona.  Their web site is
www.tubesandmore-dot-com.  Very reliable outfit, prices reasonable even
though you can do better.  Finally, swap meets are a great source of
higher power tubes, but you have to be somewhat knowledgeable (sp?) in
your shopping.

	Remember that the VTTC needs more than just the tube(s).  It also needs
a high voltage power supply of some sort and, just as hard to find these
days, a suitable filament transformer.

	I have some other tube URL's which I'll forward to anyone who wants to
send me an email to:

	evp2-at-earthlink-dot-net

Ed