RE: Spiral and Helical Primaries

Original poster: "by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <Parpp807-at-aol-dot-com>

John C and Robert,

I probably missed a good opportunity to do some testing with  spiral coils
on the twin bipolar. I can always go back for a revisit. I have so many
solenoids from
the various bipolars that I have never made an Archimedes spiral. But I did
learn how to wind large diameter solenoids. I can now see one or two spiral
coils in the near
future.

My collection of solenoids consists of coils of many different diameters. The
secondary has an OD of 4.5 inches. A solenoid primary of around 8 inch
diameter
proved to be too close and the racers and arcovers were uncontrollable.
Increasing the clearance between the primary and secondary to around 3 to 3.5
inches is about as tight a coupling as I can control. Then I vary the
coupling by raising and lowering the secondary which telescopes nicely over a
piece of smaller diameter pvc. As I reported previously, this combo on the
twins (Isis and Osris) gave a 73-75 inch spark with 2.25 kW input. Being ten
miles from the nearest fire station convinced me to calm this down to a more
controllable 65-68 inches.

I understand there was a lengthy thread on this same subject several years ago
with the general concensus being that there is no difference between the
spiral and
helical primary. I suspect that is what I will find. I imagine the spiral
coil as
producing an ellipsoidal B field with one end of the football going up the
secondary
and the other end going down below the table. The solenoid should produce a
parallel B field that cuts the wires of the secondary at 90 degrees. That
sounds good
altho I can see how the coupling will be much tighter. Also, from what I have
seen in various plans and read on the list, the usual space
between the flat spiral first turn and the outside of the secondary is 1-2
inches.
My experiments show that is much too close for a solenoid.

Slow learning in progress.

Happy day,
Ralph Zekelman

 Original poster: "John H. Couture by way of Terry Fritz
<twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>"
> <couturejh-at-mgte-dot-com>
  Ralph -