strap primaries

Original poster: "Mr Gregory Peters by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <s371034-at-student.uq.edu.au>

Hey guys, A question about primaries.

I once read that copper strap has better RF conductive properties than
copper tube, but we use tube in tesla primaries to suppress corona
loss. My question is why? If you have, say, a peak primary voltage of
40kV and a 10 turn primary, don't you technically only have 4kV/turn?
Isn't 4kV too low a voltage for corona discharge to really be a
problem? I would rather use strap as it is much easier to bend then
tube.

Cheers,

Greg Peters
Department of Earth Sciences,