Re: Why do primaries get hot?

Hi Greg -

When thinking of skin depth, I've always imagined the currents being carried in
the outer portion of the conductor as a function of the frequency. This
indicates at the operating frequency the wire is broken into two parts (one is
predominantly used, the other negligible and ignored). Each of the two is
smaller than the whole. We can calc skin depth which indicates how much of the
conductor is carrying current and we already know the conductor size. This
suggest a wire size can be found which is equivalent to the conductor carrying
current. This new equivalent size is smaller and R must then be larger. If
carrying the same current, I^2R heating has just been given a boost by the
larger R factor.

The wire carrying load current is electrically getting smaller with frequency
(that's what I'm trying to say) and still trying to deliver the load current.

That's my twisted analogy anyway. Take it with a grain of salt.

Take care,
Bart