RE: PVC secondaries

Original poster: "Jeff W. Parisse by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <jparisse-at-teslacoil-dot-com>

Dan,

You're undoubtedly an experienced engineer. However, a TC is not a:

Filter Coil
Mechanical Support
Radar Transmitter
Hi-Pot Tester

I, too, use uncoated PVC for a variety of HV purposes. However I coat
our
PVC coil forms at kVA Effects because of OUR experience.

Jeff W. Parisse
Director, kVA Effects
www.teslacoil-dot-com

Original poster: "Daniel McCauley by way of Terry Fritz
<twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <dhmccauley-at-spacecatlighting-dot-com>

I still disagree. It may help a little but I don't think its truly
necessary.  Our technicians here frequently build high voltage loads
using PVC as air cores for various filter coils as well as using PVC
throughout the load structure for mechanical support where high voltage
resistors are attached directly to the PVC.  (PVC is much cheaper than
glastic when building temporary loads)

We design high power (>10 MegaWatt) radar transmitters and the power
supplies we test output voltages approaching 600kV at very high currents
(>5A at 600kV)  We almost never have any flash-overs on the PVC due to
creepage etc...  We also design Hi-Potentional Test (Hi-Pot) machines
with outputs exceeding 1 MILLION volts (very low current of course) and
our prototypes frequently use PVC forms for our output coils.  (Hi-Pot
machines look very similar to tesla coils except they work differently.)

Dan McCauley
Sr. Transmitter Engineer
Lockheed Martin NESS