Re: Tesla Coil Capacitors - Why build them?

Original poster: "Ben McMillen by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <spoonman534-at-yahoo-dot-com>

> > 1. Most cheap HV caps aren't always suitable for
> coiling
> > use..
>
> Actually, the ones from High Energy are perfect for coil
> use.

I'll keep that in mind.. SOMEDAY I'd like to get an
'assortment' to experiment with tuning and such.. ;)

> > 3. Commercially available pulse caps have a big price
> tag
> > and a rather short life span.. shorter if you buy them
> > used..
>
> Disagree with you on both accounts.  Commercially
> available caps from
> vendors such as
> NWL, Plastic Cap, High Energy are not too expensive . . .
> equivalent to MMC
> arrays.
> And they really don't have too short of lifetimes.  We
> use all kinds of
> pulse caps in high power (>1Megawatt)
> radar transmitters and they see much more abuse then any
> tesla coil would
> see.

That I did not know..  I thought that MMC lifespan was
considerably longer than commercaial caps.. If it was
affordable, it would make an interesting experiment to see
which one would fail first..

Coiling in Pittsburgh
Ben McMillen