Re: Microwave Oven Choke (What's it for?)

Original poster: "David Speck by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <dave-at-davidspeckmd-dot-org>

Greg,
I disassembled one of the old RadarRanges as well.  It did have a separate
filament transformer, not part of the main HV transformer.

This is useful if you even want to play with a magnetron.  You can keep the
filament running at full standard voltage, and bring up the HV with a
Variac until you start to get microwave emission.  I have not been able to
get a straight answer as to whether there is a specific threshold voltage
at which the magnetron starts to oscillate.  I wanted to use one at a low
power to bombard gas discharge tubes passed through a hole in the waveguide.

Way back in physical chemistry lab at Cornell, I used a microwave generator
to ionize gas in a flowing gas reactor experiment.   I tracked down one of
them a while back but the seller wanted $600 for it.  Just one of the
projects I pland to experiment with "someday"

HTH,
Dave
G-2,1170