Re: Power cabinet schematics

Hi Ben and Justin,

Like Ed, I put my safety gap directly across the RSG (nothing wierd about
it) and
actually mount it on the opposite side of the RSG (to let disk air currents
flow
across it). Note, in most configurations, this is equivalent to going directly
across the transformer and across the cap in series with the primary
(adding primary
surge impedance when the safety gap fires). It performs the tasks of
protecting the
cap from overvolting (when adjusted properly) and will fire as a static gap
in the
event the RSG has a problem. Bottom line = the cap has a load impedance
when the
safety gap fires, which is good for the life and health of your cap. I
believe there
are a number of coilers doing this these days.

Take care,
Bart

Tesla list wrote:

<Esondrmn-at-aol-dot-com>

> In a message dated 6/18/02 6:44:39 AM Pacific Daylight Time, tesla-at-pupman-dot-com
> writes:
>

> > Hi Ben and All,
> >
> > > Finally.. when using a SRSG, do I put the safety gap across
> > > the SRSG terminals (close to the SRSG)??
> > >
> > > Thanks for any help!
> > >
> > > Coiling In Pittsburgh
> > > Ben McMillen
> >
> > You would only need a spark gap across your RSG if you wanted to
> > protect it from HV spikes.
> >
> > Insulating materials inside capacitors and transformers are not fond
> > of super-high kickbacks from a TC primary, so to clamp those
> > kickbacks, safety gaps are used.
> >
> > It would be weird to put a safety gap across a spark gap....
> >
> > The TC webring has a ton of power controller schem's on it.
> >
> > Take care,
> >
> > Justin Hays
>
> Ben,
>
> I use a synchronous rotary gap on my 6.0" coil which runs at about 7 kva.
 I do