Re: Power cabinet schematics

Original poster: "by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <Esondrmn-at-aol-dot-com>

In a message dated 6/18/02 6:44:39 AM Pacific Daylight Time, tesla-at-pupman-dot-com
writes:

> Hi Ben and All,
>
> > Finally.. when using a SRSG, do I put the safety gap across
> > the SRSG terminals (close to the SRSG)??
> >
> > Thanks for any help!
> >
> > Coiling In Pittsburgh
> > Ben McMillen
>
> You would only need a spark gap across your RSG if you wanted to
> protect it from HV spikes.
>
> Insulating materials inside capacitors and transformers are not fond
> of super-high kickbacks from a TC primary, so to clamp those
> kickbacks, safety gaps are used.
>
> It would be weird to put a safety gap across a spark gap....
>
> The TC webring has a ton of power controller schem's on it.
>
> Take care,
>
> Justin Hays

Ben,

I use a synchronous rotary gap on my 6.0" coil which runs at about 7 kva.  I do
have a safety gap wired directly across the rotary gap.  I initially had an
unwanted 60 hz resonance problem with this coil and was using a non-sync
rotary.  Due to the resonance problems, I had some extremely high voltages in
the tank circuit and destroyed two expensive commercial caps.  I haven't read
about anyone else having this problem however.  If I would have had the safety
gap across the rotary gap in the beginning, I would have known something was
wrong and fixed it before I destroyed the caps.  I suppose that with a known,
stable system, you do not need them - but I will always use one.

Ed Sonderman