Re: power transformers

Original poster: "rob by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <rob-at-pythonemproject-dot-com>

Tesla list wrote:

> Original poster: "Alexander Rice by way of Terry Fritz
<twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <alex-at-rices.myip-dot-org>

> 17/06/2002 23:58:13, "Tesla list"
> <tesla-at-pupman-dot-com> wrote:
>
> >Original poster: "R. Bergmann by way of
> Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>"
> <bergmann_-at-hotmail-dot-com>
> >
> >Does anybody know where I can get some
> high power/voltage power
> >transformers?  I need ones with four
> leads.  I am making a VTTC.
> >

> >Thanks,
> >R.
>
> Umm,
>         if you are specifying your
> transformer on the basis of the number of
> wires it has you should probably not start
> with a vacuum tube based coil as they
> requre a considerable knowledge of
> electronics if you are to make it work
> satisfactorily. Nonetheless, people often
> use microwave oven tranformers for the B+
> voltage, sometimes rewinding to obtain the
> requred voltage, some use custom
> tranformers for their specific tube. To
> supply filament power most people wind
> their own trasformer on an old core
> because they only need a few dozen turns.
>
> really you would probably would do better
> to scavenge a neon sign transformer and
> make an ordinary spark gap coil and
> progress form there
>
> regards
>
> alex
> ------------------------------
> Alexander JJ Rice
> Geek#-1232
> Rank : G-2 (Wahey!)
> http://www.TheGeekGroup-dot-org
>
> ICQ : 114007491
> MSN : ajjrice-at-yahoo-dot-com

I wouldn't discourage him.  Vacuum tubes are much more forgiving than
MOSFETS :)  Be sure to include a 50ohm 100W resistor in series with your
B+ to the tube.  Tubes when operated over-voltage will frequently flash
over, and the resistor makes the behavior mostly harmless.  I would
recommend 1 3-500Z tube.  They are triodes with pretty high B+ rating.
Sockets are cheap, and the tube can be convection cooled. You can get
them new for $150 or used very cheaply.  The most desired tube is the
4-1000 obtained as broadcast pulls.  So make friends with an AM
broadcast technician.  Rob.

--
The Numeric Python EM Project

www.pythonemproject-dot-com