Re: Bipolar tesla coil (Cap Size?)

Original poster: "Steven Ward by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <srward16-at-hotmail-dot-com>

>From: "Tesla list" <tesla-at-pupman-dot-com>
>To: tesla-at-pupman-dot-com
>Subject: Bipolar tesla coil (Cap Size?)
>Date: Sat, 15 Jun 2002 13:05:13 -0600
>
>Original poster: "tmoore by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>"
><tmoore-at-erie-dot-net>
>
>Hello All,
>
>     I have been working on changing my mini tesla coil in to a bipolar
>tesla
>coil the single coil can be seen at http://hot-streamer-dot-com/nolan/ . I was
>wondering if I were to create same exact components like the secondary,
>primary, toroid and the both shared the same spark gap, power supply and
>capacitor. Would it require double the capacitance the same or 1/2 of that
>of the original single coil design, if I were to keep the primary tapped at
>the same spot on both the primary coils, like how I have it while ruining a
>single coil what would it need 0.03uf like in the original or double that.
>Ok thanks a bunch oh and if you got any good tips for a bipolar tesla coil
>it will be appreciated.
>
>Sincerely,
>Nolan Moore

I have been working with twin TCs for a while now.  Your cap will be the
same size.  Just make the new pri/sec coils as close to same as possible.
you will aslo find that you will tune in at less primary turns, with the
same secondary and topload as the single coil.  Just wire the primaries in
series, connecting the innermost windings of the primary coils together.
All coils are wouns in the same direction.  Hope this all helps.

Steve Ward.