Re: Is toroid a Faraday cage?

Original poster: "Steven Ward by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <srward16-at-hotmail-dot-com>

>From: "Tesla list" <tesla-at-pupman-dot-com>
>To: tesla-at-pupman-dot-com
>Subject: Is toroid a Faraday cage?
>Date: Tue, 11 Jun 2002 17:59:52 -0600
>
>Original poster: "Jolyon Vater Cox by way of Terry Fritz
><twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <jolyon-at-vatercox.freeserve.co.uk>
>

>Apart from role as a capacitor, does the toroid of a TC work along the
>principle of a Faraday cage or Faraday s Ice Pail or -similar to the dome
>on a
>Van der Graaf generator- in that the secondary is connected to the inner
>surface where there is no net charge -all charge being collected on the
>exterior?
>
>Also if the inner wall of a Faraday cage has infinite electrical "suction"
>ie.
>it can never become charged no matter how much electricity is supplied to
>it,
>is the only difficulty in getting charge into the cage due to the repulsion
>of
>the electric field on the outside?

One main reason it is not, a tesla coil is AC while a VDG is DC.  A DC
charge can be built up, but AC cant since it is alternating.  I do feel that
toroids do have charging action, but not like a VDG where it takes a few
seconds to reach max potential.

Steve Ward