Re: MMC warming

Original poster: "Steven Ward by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <srward16-at-hotmail-dot-com>

>From: "Tesla list" <tesla-at-pupman-dot-com>
>To: tesla-at-pupman-dot-com
>Subject: Re: MMC warming
>Date: Tue, 11 Jun 2002 20:27:37 -0600
>
>Original poster: "Terry Fritz" <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>
>
>Hi Steve,
>
>At 03:12 PM 6/10/2002 -0500, you wrote:
> >
>...  One
> >incredible thing to notice is that the small toroid below my 2 larger
>ones,
> >had a burning hot center!!  There was no sign of arcing, and its steel
> >center piece was almost too hot to touch!
>
>Can you replace the steel part with a brass part.  Steel is a terrible loss
>in RF fields and the hot steel is taking away from power for the sparks.  I
>have seen high power RF equipment that normally runs cold.  Someone will
>simply replace a brass screw with a steel one and the screw gets white hot,
>melts, and drips to the floor...  "Some" types of nan-magnetic stainless
>steel work too.
>
>Cheers,
>
>	Terry

I ran my twin set up, that does not have the small toroid, and the Al gets
warm.  It happened on both coils, and only in the center where whe wire
connects.  By the way, im getting pretty nice streamers now.  Heres an
interesting topic, Do dischage points have a conciderable effect on tuning??
  With out a breakout point on each coil, they have thick arcs reaching 20"
or so between coils, then if i try to put some thread rod as a break out
point, the streamers become weak little 8 inchers.  I havent had time to
play with this yet, i will try to retune with the breakout points, and the
tuning is really sensitive with the larger cap. Unfortunately, my coils tune
at 3.5 turns with my large cap, and the small setup i have.  I think that i
will make some more toroids and lower my frequency.

Steve Ward.