Re: Garolite (G9, G10, G11) questions.

Original poster: "by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <Parpp807-at-aol-dot-com>

In a message dated 6/8/02 9:51:49 PM Central Daylight Time, tesla-at-pupman-dot-com
writes:

Hi Sam, Terry,

Sam, nice to see you back on the list. As I recall, you were experimenting
with
ignition coils when I first lurked the list. Glad to see you posting again.

Lots of snips and my $0.015:

Pictures of my use of G-9, G-10, and Delrin can be seen at:
http://hot-streamer-dot-com/temp/RalphsCoil/

> Even Delrin will break if you
> hit it hard enough, but Delrin IS my material of choice for "plastic stuff."

My various uses of Delrin can be seen on the SRSG. the spacers for the
helical primaries, and the side supports for the large 48" bipolar. Delrin is
the white stuff. The 3/4" rods and tubes are all Delrin. It is strong and it
is very easy to machine. It taps easily and neatly. The spacers for the
solenoid primaries are
strips of Delrin with holes drilled to the proper spacing, drilled and tapped
for 6-32
nylon screws, and then cut into two pieces on the band saw. After several
tries
with the Wal-Mart plastic cutting boards, Delrin is far superior to the other
acrylics and Lexan.

> GPO3 - That red stuff that is used in everything electrical.  It has
> amazing resistance to surface and electrical arcs but it is "soft" and the
> fibers in it are random.  Great electrically but I worry about the
> strength.  It is glass fiber in polyester resin?  Not good for a gap but
> great for other electrical insulating needs.

If you are going to dull your tools do it on Garolite, G-9, 10, 11.
In addition to being soft and difficult to machine, GP03 does not thread
as neatly as Garolite.

In my pictures, G-9 is brown in the SRSG, and G-10 is green in the static
gaps.
G-9 and 10 are very similar. I can't see any difference in machinability,
they are both very difficult to work with but the results is worth the
effort. G-9 is supposed to have better resistance to arcing. Does anyone know
what that means? For a RSG I would
use the 3/8 thickness. The 1/4 inch is OK for the other uses. Use zirconium
drills
with a light oil such as WD-40 or turpentine. Drill in steps of small
increments,
don't try to blast your way thru a 3/8 or 1/2 inch hole. I cut the Garolite
on the band saw using a hardened, 4 TPI blade. I threw out the blade after
cutting the 3/8 x 10 in
diameter disc for the SRSG. I use the shop vac to suck up the cutting dust
from
the drilling and sawing operations. That dust is mean stuff.

McMaster-Carr is my favorite source for plastics and metals.
www.mcmaster-dot-com.

Cheers,
Ralph Zekelman