Re: SSTC not working as expected

Original poster: "rob by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <rob-at-pythonemproject-dot-com>

Tesla list wrote:

> Original poster: "Malcolm Watts by way of Terry Fritz
<twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <m.j.watts-at-massey.ac.nz>

> Hi Rob,
>         Low powered bench expts I've done indicate that driving a TC
> primary is definitely superior to bottom feeding. It is an impedance
> problem. The real problem is that due to a less than infinite output
> impedance, the base impedance of the resonator is well above zero
> Ohms. This is one reason why running a resonator from a classic pri-
> sec arrangement in a disruptive TC works so well. I'm not saying that
> what you're doing can't be made to work - it can as others have
> demonstrated. It's just that you need a considerably greater steup-up
> ratio to get your driver's output impedance more in line with the
> base impedance of the resonator. Even there it doesn't end - the
> moment sparks start issuing from the top of the resonator. the base
> impedance leaps upwards as it would in any previously "open circuit"
> 1/4 wave transformer with a load applied to the far end. Useful for
> input power limiting I suppose.
>
> Regards,
> malcolm

I got it working. See other post on the subject.  My next experiment is
going to be a primary coil.  Rob.

--
The Numeric Python EM Project

www.pythonemproject-dot-com