Re: Primary strikes

Original poster: "Finn Hammer by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <f-h-at-c.dk>

Hello stephen!

I was interested in the same question some time back, and performed the
experiment shown on this picture:
Http://home5.inet.tele.dk/f-hammer/caparc.jpg

As you see, no harm was done. The coil is a quick MOT driven lashup.

Since the energy that the cap receives from the arc originates from
itself, and has been taxed by spark gap, and other losses, it should not
be enough to create a voltage higher than that which was originally
across it.

So a primary strike is not bad for the cap, however it may still be a
nuisance, because it can trigger the safety gap, with erretic firing as
a result.

That`s why I have strike rings on my coils anyway.

Cheers, Finn Hammer