Re: RF Ground

Original poster: "J. B. Weazle McCreath by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <weazle-at-hurontel.on.ca>

At 01:13 PM 01/06/02 -0600, you wrote:

>Original poster: "by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>"
<DNAForInfinity-at-aol-dot-com>

>Does anyone have any good ideas for grounding the bottom of the secondary
>when running INSIDE?  I was considering running a wire along the ground,
>outside and into the gravel outside.  Is this a good plan?  Also, where
>do I run the ground from the transformer?

SNIP

>Thanks, Dan

Hi Dan, coilers,

I'd suggest a "ground plane" of either chicken wire or hardware cloth
with a diameter of at least the height of your topload from the floor.
If you place the coil centered on this "ground plane" and connect the
lower end of your secondary to it, you should be OK with a single run
of reasonably heavy wire to a regular ground rod outside.

As to the grounding of your transformer, I assume you're referring to
an NST or similar HV transformer.  If that's the case, simply use the
third lead in your power cord to connect the transformer case to your
electrical system ground via the third pin on the plug.  Make certain
that your outlet's ground is really grounded, though!

73, Weazle, VE3EAR/VE3WZL
G-1#1214

Listening: 147.030+ and 442.075+
E-mail:    weazle-at-hurontel.on.ca