Hyperbaric Gap

Original poster: "J. B. Weazle McCreath by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <weazle-at-hurontel.on.ca>

Hello Coilers,

While I'm waiting for a machinist friend to finish up my rotary gap I
wanted to try a different approach to a single static gap on my coil.
I decided to base it around a PVC electrical conduit T fitting which
is pressurised with the compressor unit of a canister vacuum cleaner.
I chose a 1 inch T due to the compatability with regular brass and
copper plumbing fittings.

The electrodes are half inch type M copper pipe, with the ends faced
off true and flat in the lathe.  They are held in alignment and at a
fixed gap of 5/16" via the use of brass threaded to solder adapters,
one for each electrode, that are screwed into the end ports of the
"T" fitting.  Three set screws allow adjustment and secure each of
the electrodes in the adapter fittings.

I've named it my "HYPERBARIC GAP" as it operates at a pressure above
normal ambient.  The high volume of air not only gives me excellent
quenching, but it also cools the electrodes.  The door of the PVC T
can be removed in seconds to inspect the gap chamber and check out
the condition and settings of the electrodes.  It works very well,
giving me the best streamers yet.  All I need now is the courage
to crank up the variac and let my new pig do its thing!

73, Weazle, VE3EAR/VE3WZL
G-1#1214

Listening: 147.030+ and 442.075+
E-mail:    weazle-at-hurontel.on.ca