Re: SSTC newbie

Original poster: "Sundog by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <sundog-at-timeship-dot-net>

Hi Justin, All,

  The ferrite core transformer I have I scavenged from an SMPS.  It's about
1 3/4" high, 9/16" wide, and 1 5/8" deep.  It's a dual E core with a round
center post.  The bobbin gives me about 1/4" x 1.5" window.   I already put
it on the signal generator, and it operates best from 300-500khz, but
output looks good up to 3mhz (but it'd probably be lossy as heck.)   I
tried a variety of waveforms into it, and while a square wave gave me some
funky looking output, it was mostly a sine wave.

   I only intend to run it on 120v, because by the time I move up to 240v
mains in the garage, I'll be ready to build a more powerful one and I'll
use a much beefier set of MOFSET's for that.  Just like VTTC's, I want to
get it running well before I try for a big one.

   I wondered about the core because it's handy, and the bobbin makes it
real convenient ;)  Many thanks on the info about the gate drive.   I'm
following Richie's design pretty much, because it's proven to work, and
work well.   Does this design give me an interruptor, or should I use a 555
timer's output on the MOFSET driver to put it into sputter mode?

  And a strange question...what the heck is that unearthly squeal and
where's it coming from??!?! :)

Sundog G5-1203