Re: SSTC As a transmitter.

Tesla list wrote:

> Original poster: "davep by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>"
<davep-at-quik-dot-com>

> Tesla list wrote:
>
> > Original poster: "Gary Peterson by way of Terry Fritz
> <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <glpeterson-at-tfcbooks-dot-com>
>
> >>What is meant by 'regeneration'?
> >>If the reference is to the common regenerative receiver,
> >>this uses a LOCAL POWER SUPPLY.  All the 'output'
> >>energy in a regenerative receiver comes from the
> >>local PSU...

	He didn't have a "local power supply" in the patent diagrams he
published.
> > Yes, that's what I had in mind.  Tesla recognized the benefit of
> > regenerative feedback to introduce negative resistance into antenna
> > circuitry, incorporating it in his circuits as early as 1899.  In the
CSN on
> > August 3 he shows a number of receiver arrangements in which RF current is
> > fed back from the secondary side of a resonant transformer to a coherer
> > located on the transformer's primary side, making the coherer more
sensitive
> > to incoming signals.

	That doesn't make sense.  The best any circuit can do is deliver ALL of
the received power to the load (the "sensitive device", in this case),
and without a local power supply and active component such as a tube or
transistor, "regeneration" doesn't make any difference.

>         Indeed:
>         Coherer, crystal, magnetic detectors all DID, in a real
>         sense (do, to this day) involve 'broadcast power'.
>         All such involve tiny amounts of power.  No 'power
>         flowing preferentially to the load' has been observed.
>         (uWave transmission of power is a separate case,
>         involving beams, etc....).

	Actually coherers and magnetic detectors aren't very sensitive at all.
The typical coherer requires a signal of the order of FOUR VOLTS to
operate, with the power depending on the non-conducting impedance.

>         Much has been learned about RF propagation since
>         Tesla's day...

	A lot was already known by 1906, but since he proposed to transmit
power by "non hertzian" means he chose not to believe it. His gigantic
goof which he never recognized.

>         best
>         dwp

Ed