Re: BetterCapacitors

>Original poster: "Terry Fritz" <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>
>
>Hi Chris,
>
>At 11:02 AM 7/28/2002 -0500, you wrote:
> >
> >A MMC would be the best solution.In terms of size and weight... but I
>have
> >no data to support this conclusion just your guys recomendations....
>
>Everyone gets MMC now days or goes for the cheap salt water caps.  The geek
>group has a nice plan for a real good salt water cap and they also sell
>nice MMC caps cheap.
>
>www.thegeekgroup-dot-org
>http://geekgroup.yi-dot-org:81/

That YI thing is actually a temp solution, the site is being *completely*
rebuilt (it's actually something we've been working on for 6 months,
building the databases and all). It's not yet fit for public consumption.
However, all the OLD links to the original site still work, it's all still
there, just hidden ;)

That's why I haven't emailed Terry with the new links yet.

>Looks like they are working on their site right now...  Give it a few
>days...  Maybe write Chris...
>

> >so I need some opinions on a couple things
> >
> >Is it worth it to route out a source for the thick 30mil PE plastic
>sheeting
> >???
> >whats an average cost of a 15-20nf rolled cap?
>
>I can't think of anyone who has made a rolled cap in a year or so now.
>When MMCs hit the scene, a number of people dropped their rolled cap
>projects right in the middle and made MMCs instead.  I think an MMC is like
>1/4 the cost and 1/10th the effort...
>

> >Whats the best source for mini caps... The geek group?
>
>Yep.  They have 0.15uF 2000V polypropylene foil caps (Cornell Dubilier
>942C20P15K) for about $3.50 each (not sure of price?).

$3.00 even :) Still about a buck below FMV of them.

>http://hot-streamer-dot-com/TeslaCoils/MMCInfo/GeekCaps/GeekCaps.htm
>
> >whats the recomended ratings for caps not from the geek group?
>
>Polypropylene-foil construction, high-current high-voltage self-healing...
>See the list at:
>
>http://hot-streamer-dot-com/TeslaCoils/MMCInfo/good-bad.txt
>
> >when is the next geek group order going through?
>
>Ask Chris :-)
>
>"Christopher Boden" <chrisboden-at-hotmail-dot-com>

I actually prefer cboden-at-thegeekgroup-dot-org for business things, remember, I'm
not the only person involved in you getting your caps. I just take orders
and handle crisis. There are 5 other people involved since it's a *huge*
operation now. The days of me doing it all myself and keeping track of
orders in a notepad file are long since gone, lol

And the next order is going together now, I've got orders in for about 80 or
so, when we hit 250 I pop it in, if you need caps, now's a good time to get
an order in and avoid teh brunt of the wait.

> >anyone have a guess at much would it cost me in resistors and capacitors
> >from the geeks to build a 15nf to 20nf MMC?
>
>See this chart:
>
>http://hot-streamer-dot-com/temp/MMCcapSales.gif
>
> >Where is a good page to get the math for doing up a MMC?
>
>http://hot-streamer-dot-com/TeslaCoils/MMCInfo/mmcinfo.htm
>http://hot-streamer-dot-com/TeslaCoils/MMCInfo/MMCPower4.html
>http://hot-streamer-dot-com/TeslaCoils/programs/Mmccalc2.zip
>
> >What type of resistors do I need to use?
>
>"I" just get 10Meg ohm 1/2 carbon film types.  Yageo 10MH
>
>http://www.digikey-dot-com/scripts/us/dksus.dll?Criteria?Ref=88368&Cat=30802464
>
>They are used over they're voltage rating but they work fine.  I have a few
>thousand extra so write me and I'll send you a bunch for free.
>terrellf-at-qwest-dot-net
>
> >Say I built a MMC to go with a NST 12kv60ma, if I buy another NST can I
>just
> >build another MMC and paralel it in with the other one? Or do I need to
> >reconstruct the entire unit?
>
>You just simply parallel it up.
>

> >I can probably figure out a lot of this if someone points me to the right
> >information, but I would really like the current opinions on capacitors.
> >little help with the math wouldnt hurt either.....
>
>http://hot-streamer-dot-com/TeslaCoils/MMCInfo/mmcinfo.htm
>
>See the little DOS program at:
>
>http://hot-streamer-dot-com/TeslaCoils/programs/Mmccalc2.zip
>
>Also a Excel spreadsheet form too.
>
>http://hot-streamer-dot-com/temp/MMCcalc2xls.zip
>
>The thermal dissipation value for these caps that MMCalc2 asks for should
>be "22".
>
>However, Mark Broker's chart at:
>
>http://hot-streamer-dot-com/temp/MMCcapSales.gif
>
>already has everything figured out for normal coil configurations.
>
> >My salties are tough and work but I hate moving the big heavy darm
>things...
> >
> >I have been wondering has anyone ever built a primary on one of those
>round
> >plastic sleds?
>
>Sounds like a great idea!
>
>Cheers,