RE: 15000V/120 ma NSTs, other XFMRs

Original poster: "Steven Ward by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <srward16-at-hotmail-dot-com>

Hi Dave,

I ususally just chisle the case apart at the corners, then take out the
large block of tar with the transformer inside.  Depending on the condition
of the tar i may freeze it for an hour in the freezer.  Then i take a
hammer, and flat screwdriver, and crack away at it, CAREFULLY of course.
Once you know where each coil is, then its pretty easy to chip away all the
tar.  Then i usually take the transformer apart.  I re-insulate the coils
with new tape, and mica(or poly) for the secondaries.  Then i clean at least
the outer surface of the core so that i dont have tar residue all over my
coil.  I think thats about it, it usually takes me about 6 hours to complete
a rebuild.  Anyone know if im slow or perhaps fast with this???  How long
does it take everyone else?  Good luck Dave, and be carefull, i just got a
1st class gash to my outer hand :(.

Steve Ward.