Re: SSTC As a transmitter.

> And I wrote:
> > And what is meant by a 'slow-wave' resonator?  Does the adjective
> > mean anything?
>
> Jim wrote:
> > Some structure along which a wave propagates at less than free
> > space.
>
> For EM waves, that applies to all physical structures.  Can you
> make a fast-wave helical resonator?  Hence my feeling that the
> term is redundant, although it sounds impressive.

Perhaps I should have used the term "significantly slower" than free space.
 Indeed, ordinary coax (or a bare wire) has a propagation velocity a
fraction that of free space.  The slow wave structure in a TWT, for
example, though, propagates the wave at around 53E6 m/sec (0.17c)

> Jim wrote:
> > Corums used the terminology when describing their (now
> > deprecated) theories of TC function (basically a 1/4 wave
> > transmission line much shorter than free space 1/4 wave because
> > propagation is in a "slow wave structure")..
>
> I disagree, that's about the only bit they got right in their
> 'Class Notes' paper.  The rest is worthless or wrong.

It was the theories I was deprecating, not the use of the term to describe
the TC secondary..