Re: John Freau design trick making a primary

Original poster: "Steven Ward by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <srward16-at-hotmail-dot-com>

Well,

Basically, you make your secondary have more turns than usual (like 1500 or
more) and than you use smaller wire(with smaller spacing) on the primary in
order to get enough inductance, to reach tuning, in a smaller space(1/4"
tubing cant do this with small coils).  This reduces the heat produced by
the spark gap in that it cannot discharge as much current into the
primary(higher inductance now). Reduced heat= reduced losses.  I should not
really be the one telling you this since im definitely not an expert.
Basically just writing to support the idea and that it does work.  Look on
the net for his website, but im sure he will write about this and tell you.
I decided to give it a shot, and it worked great!

Steve Ward.