Huge Dumpster Auto-Transformer I PULLED out whew!

Original poster: "Dan by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <toodamtall1-at-yahoo-dot-com>

Hi folks,
Thanks for the tips on dumpster diving. I also
collected a couple microwaves last big garbage day but
got discouraged from using them after reading the
negative stuff on the net about using MOTs vs. NSTs in
a TC. <sorry MOT folks, no offense> Chris, your story
was very amusing to me and my office-mate here.

This huge auto-transformer I found in the dumpster
does not have a secondary. It's basically a big double
layered coil on a ferrite (HUGE) donut (toroid?). I
was told I may be able to use it to vary the ac going
into my NST. 3= windings. Plus I will need an awfully
flexible wire to attach to the wiper (ground braid?).
It seems strange to me to put a short on an ac line
like this. Your thoughts are greatly appreciated.

hot in  ---3
           3
           3 <--- hot out
           3
neutral ---3----- neutral out

I never thought I'd see the day where I would need to
make these "geeky" ascii drawings. But I see why you
guys do it now. I am grateful to be among you experts
and I think I'm learning your language hehe.

Dan
Ft. Lauderdale

_