Re: Overpower the line filter ?

Original poster: "David Speck by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <dave-at-davidspeckmd-dot-org>

Shaun,
RF filters have a pair of choke coils inside which limit the current
they can carry.  I suspect that they might be able to handle a 50% or
100% overload for a period of time, but eventually, they will overheat
and fail.  The caps on a small filter would also have a relatively small
current capability for bypassing the RF, so they will tend to fail if
subjected to significant amounts of RF power.

Heavy duty RF filters are available at very reasonable prices -- I
believe that either Hosfelt electronics or MECI (Mendelson electronics)
recently had a 30A 220V 3 phase filter available for $5.95.  I bought 4
of them for future reference.

HTH,
Dave
G2-1170