Re: SRSG - Making hubs

In a message dated 7/24/02 10:08:53 AM Eastern Daylight Time, tesla-at-pupman-dot-com
writes:

Winston,

Don't feel bad, it's very tricky to do this work precisely, unless you're
very skilled in machining.

I'm no expert.  I just took a piece of nice 1" aluminum stock,
cut it to length, then placed it into the lathe chuck and used
a drill bid placed into the dead center to drill the hole for the
shaft.  I used a drill one size smaller for the first cut.  I was
just lucky that it came out well, because the lathe is kind
of wobbly.  The center hole at the hub end that holds the
rotor is off-center a little, so I bolted the rotor in place onto
the hub, and turned it concentric on the lathe so it all turns
concentricly as long as the rotor is in a certain rotational position
relative to the hub.  I marked the spot with a scribe.  So it's all
slightly crude, but works well with no wobble.

Cheers,
John