Re: Dumpster Diving

Original poster: "sundog by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <sundog-at-timeship-dot-net>

Hi Dan,

   I've been busted dumpster diving, so be careful :)

   Looks like you have a nice variac there.  Is there a faceplate on it at
all?  I can't tell by looking at it wether it runs on 120 or 240v.  It
should work fine on 120v though.  Here's how it hooks up -

   There should be 3 leads on it (as there are in the picture.)  2 leads
run to the ends of the winding on the core, the third goes to the wiper.

   You want to run the white (neutral) to one end of the windings, and the
black to the other end.  You then take your output power from between the
neutral and the wiper lead.  Unless it's designed to run at 400hz
(unlikely), you should be able to run it on 120v with no problem, but I
don't know how to tell if it'll run properly on 240v without manufacturer
specs.

  You *WILL* need to fit it with a shaft and a control wheel/handle.  It
was originally motor driven by what the picture says, and do *NOT* try to
move the wiper by pushing on it with your hand.  The wiper sits at between
0 and 120v, so touching it will give you nasty shock in the worst case.

  Good find!
  Shad G5-1203