Re:Boring new shaft bores - Nice 1/4" Hub

Original poster: "by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <kreld-at-juno-dot-com>

Dan, all

 If your going to enlarge the bore from 1/4" to 5/16, try and find a
stepped ream instead of a drill bit.  A drill bit may "bite" off center
when drilling causing a bad alignment problem.  A stepped ream will
center in the original hole and make for a more accurate alignment.  I
believe Grizzly industrial (mail order) www.grizzly-dot-com   carries reams
for a reasonable price.  Theirs are not stepped however.  Maybe Harbor
Frieght ?

  Even with this, a lot of times after you install a rotor disk, you will
find some wobbles.  I find the best solution is just chuck the motor
armature in a lathe with the hub attached and true it up.

  If there is room on the hub, drill & tap another setscrew hole inline
with the original, this will also help keep the hub true on the shaft.