Re: MOTs & Thoughts

Original poster: "Marry Krutsch by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <u236-at-earthlink-dot-net>

Hi all,

	I just measured some MOT secondary waveforms, and thought I'd post the
results.  I measured across a 15k ohm resistor that was in series with a
10M ohm resistor.  The two resistors were across the MOT secondary.  The
output waveform was a conventional sine wave, until about 100 volts on
the variac, at which time the wave started to look like the one that
Malcom Watts posted, except mine had a "flattenned" top.  Not quite what
I expected to get, but that's what happenned.  I should say that my line
voltage (directly from the outlet) is a flat-topped sine wave, so
transformer secondary waveforms will mimic that.  I measured several
transformers that I know don't saturate at 120VAC, and all had
flat-topped sinusoidal output.  The MOTs however, were the only ones
with waveforms distorted in places other than the top.  The flat tops of
the MOT output seemed to grow just a bit at 100 VAC and above, which
seems to the "clipped" output that some have mentioned.  Again, my mains
voltage is a bit "funny" in the waveform department, so maybe someone
with "normal" mains power should make this measurement.

	I'd post pictures, but I can't find my digital camera.  Thanks to Terry
for the primary waveform measurements.

Peace,
Winston K.