Re: SSTC As a transmitter.

Tesla list wrote:

> Original poster: "Mike Panetta by way of Terry Fritz
<twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <ahuitzot-at-mindspring-dot-com>

> Now that would be cool!  I had actually had a similar thought, working a
> ham band with an SSTC, but I was not sure of the legality of it.  I am a
> ham (KG4TTU is my call), but I do not have privlages on such a low band
> (yet :).  I still think it would be a really cool thing, atleast to
> listen :)
>
> Mike

	In order to radiate any power at 137 kHz you need a very long antenna
and LOTS of antenna current; I can't imagine your coil tuning with the
capacitance of a long antenna attached.  The "big boys" are doing it
that way, and going to great lengths to build high Q loading coils.
There have been at least a couple of articles in QST that you might want
to look at.  I'm afraid your TC wouldn't do very much, but the primary
driver might work with a suitable antenna and coupled loading coil.

	One added problem would probably be frequency stability.  The "across
the ocean" communication which has been received involved using receiver
bandwidths of less than 1 Hz, and if your transmitter had more frequency
drift or incidental FM than that no one would be able to receive it.

Ed

W6IZJ