Gemini Tesla Magnifier

Original poster: "by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <Teslamagnifier-at-aol-dot-com>

Fellow Voltophiles,
Thanks for all the information you have posted at pupman and all the
superlative  and informative websites.  Having spent innumerable hours reading
and printing them, I've learned a great deal and, after a long hiatus, have
finally gotten back in touch with my inner nerd!

      Late last year during a boring day at work, an idea popped into my head
which has taken a while to execute.  A basic magnifier coil had to be built
first and then elaborated on.  Tonight all the parts finally came together, and
it worked!  So there weas first light on a design which I haven't seen
described in all that I've read so far.

      The design:

-120 VAC--} 14400 potential transformer (PT)
-Current limiting with an isolation transformer (IT)in series with the PT, and
a variac shorting the secondary of the IT.
The MasterBlaster spark gap ( I think it is listed under "blaster" in the
picture archives)
-Two Maxwell (via Ebay) .03 mfd capacitors in series (.015mfd)
-a primary coil of 50" 1/4" refrig tubing wrapped around a 15 gallon drum.
-inside and coaxial to the drum is an 8" PVC pipe with around 180 turns of
domestic 14 ga insulated wire.
-Each end of this secondary coil leads to an "extra-teriary-magnifying coil."
Therefore there are TWO tertiary coils.
-The tertiary coils are 6" thin PVC with around 700 turns of 20 ga wire.  Each
is capped with a 4" dryer duct toroid.
--Blower switch turns on relay which activates blower.  This relay enables a HV
relay which sends current to a variac.  Output of variac goes to IT and then to
PT (and back to Variac)
      Forgive the approximate statistics for now.  Impulsiveness had its way
with me, (as usual with ADD) and I wanted to rig it all up and see what
happened.  When my abused digital camera gets back from Olypus, will post some
pictures and by then have more precise measurements.
      Some observations:
-- Best sparks with the primary tapped at the full 50 feet --around 13-14 turns
around a 12+  inch diameter.
--Secondary inside of the primary so it is well coupled.
--Each tertiary+toroid had an isolated resonant freq of around 173 KC
--The naked secondary had a resonant frequency of around 490 KC
--Placing an additional 6" toroid on top of one of the tertiaries seemed to
inhibit break out.
--Current draw somewhat erratic between 15 and 20 amps.  ( I dont mind--makes
things seem even more out of control!!!!!!!!!)
--Both tertiaries broke out nice streamers with white arcs between the
two--around 5 feet.
      I wanted to be conservative with those Maxwell caps, so put two in series
to keep the stress down.  They add up to .015 mfd.  Tomarrow will eliminate one
to get .03 mfd, and play with the tuning.  I imagine that the
tertiary----secondary---tertiary  coils coupled together might have a rather
low resonant frequency.  The .03 mfd in the primary might resonate closer to
their frequency.  Also have a .02 to try.
      Tonight I didn't want to take all the test equipment (signal
generator--freq counter--oscilloscope) outside to measure things.  Perhaps
tomorrow will measure things and quit shooting sparks in the dark.
      I'd like to hear any comments or observations.  Better Email address for
me is
winchandle-at-aol-dot-com

Thanks for the information and inspiration.
Bill Shepard