NST Phasing

Original poster: "Steven Ward by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <srward16-at-hotmail-dot-com>

Hi everyone,

I recently rebuilt 2 15/60 france NSTs.  I simply had to clean them up to
get them to work.  One transformer reads 3kohm for each secondary, and the
other reads ~2.6kohm per secondary.  Now when i tried to hook them up i
tested for phasing by checking for an arc between the parallel connections.
I didnt see any arc so i went for it.  So i test it on an jaccobs ladder,
and it barely can arc the 1/2" gap at the bottom!!  So i test the other
connection for an arc just in case.  And to my surprise there was an arc.
But reversing it didnt help either it still arced to the opposing
connection!  Basically what im getting at is that either way i could not get
proper phasing.  One thing that is bothering me is that while working on the
first transformer, the secondaries didnt go on as i expected.  Rather than
the ground on each secondary going out opposite sides the both went out to
the same side in order to get an arc.  Also neither transformer would give
great arcs, they could only sometimes arc the 1/2" space at the bottom of
the jaccobs ladder and maybe a 5/8" gap between regular wires.  This seems a
little weak for a 15000v transformer.  But i can get a arc (3/8") from each
secondary to ground at the same time.  That and the normal resistances lead
me to believe that the transformers are good.  In any case im guessing that
ill need to reverse something, but boy is this strange!  Any help is needed!

Steve Ward.