Re: Off-Line Tesla coils (OLTC)

This starts to look like a high rep rate xenon strobe circuit.  There are a
number of flash tubes that can take this kind of load (several hundred
watts).  I'd definitely look into photoflash type capacitors for this..

For the secondary, you might want those tapewound air core inductors about
which there were some postings a few months back in an oil tank.  Fair
amount of inductance in a small package at reasonable price.  I'll look for
the link.

Having built a few strobe circuits, i'd say you definitely want resonant
charging here (without the "constant current" effect of a NST output, you'll
dissipate as much power in the ballast resistors as you put into the TC).
An offline voltage doubler (a 110:110 transformer could get you 240V into
the doubler without having to wire 240V supply.. or if you live in the rest
of the world, just plug it in) feeding a BIG reservoir cap (several tens of
thousand uF, so the voltage doesn't sag much during the charging cycle (450V
electrolytic caps turn up surplus all the time)) and a conventional
choke/diode charging circuit.  Then, you're not constrained to 60 Hz rep
rate. (actually, maybe a double doubler might work off 110V (a quadrupler..)
normally terrible performance, but in this application you don't care about
regulation, and you can have a ton of stored energy to smooth the ripple.

Actually.. Say you use a offline multiplier to get the primary voltage up a
bit (a x10?), then you might be able to make your primary C smaller, raising
your frequency a bit.