Re: Attaching Tungsten Electrodes to Rotor etc...

Hi Dan,

Here's a photo of my SRSG for my pig system (it's kind of fuzzy, but you'll
get the idea).
http://www.classictesla-dot-com/photos/ba0/52002-7.jpg

It shows the G10 disk with mounted tungsten electrodes. The rotating
electrodes are secured with a set screw into
tapped holes at the edge. The G10 is quite strong for tapping. I've ran it
for years and have never had one come
loose nor have every stipped a hole. I had a professional machinist cut the
disk for me. It's pretty simple. I see
no reason to make it more difficult. The disk itself is mounted to a large
steel pulley and that is mounted to a
press-center hub which keeps the disk nicely secured to the shaft (no
wobble, etc..). The reason for the pulley is
that 1) it is a designed fit for the hub and 2) it provides a damped start
on the motor when kicked in (ok on large
motors, but smaller motors would have trouble with this extra weight). The
stationary's are adjustable
in/out/up/down/independently and use the same electrode material (pure
tungsten rod 3/8" - electrode ends are
rounded to take the edge off - the length was untouched). To setup the
electrodes, the disk is first aligned and
balanced. Next one stationary is setup. Then I insert one electrode at time
into the disk, butt-it-up to the
stationary, and lock it down with the setscrew ("NEVER" use loctite due to
expansion pressure). I then reset the
stationary's to the total gap spacing I will be using.

Just another idea. Take care,
Bart

Tesla list wrote:

> Original poster: "Daniel McCauley by way of Terry Fritz
<twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <dhmccauley-at-spacecatlighting-dot-com>