Re: the cure for racing sparks

Original poster: "Bert Hickman by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <bert.hickman-at-aquila-dot-net>

Paul and all,

Thanks for the very interesting simulations!! What model did you use for
the arc to ground? The huge voltage gradient that forms at the top of
the winding immediately after the arc is especially interesting, since
the full pre-arc voltage voltage, plus a bit of VHF oscillatory
overshoot, is now present across the top ~3% of the winding (~4.5 cm)
for a peak transient stress of about 70 kV/cm on Thor if the model is
simulating the behavior correctly... Ouch!

Best regards,

-- Bert --
--
Bert Hickman
Stoneridge Engineering

Tesla list wrote:

> Original poster: "Paul Nicholson by way of Terry Fritz
<twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <paul-at-abelian.demon.co.uk>