Re: Natural streamer :)

Original poster: "Antonio Carlos M. de Queiroz by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <acmq-at-compuland-dot-com.br>

Tesla list wrote:

> Original poster: "Ed Phillips by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>"
<evp-at-pacbell-dot-net>

>         The last scheme is OK in principal, if you had a large source of very
> high resistance devices, which you'd probably have to run in oil for
> corona protection.  I don't consider that easy.

Spark length to a grounded ball with the same curvature of the terminal
(another terminal) gives a good value, provided that the spark is not
too long compared to the radius of the ball. Use the formula:

V=E*4*d/(d/R+1+sqrt((d/R+1)^2+8));

Where E=30000 V/cm, d is the spark length (cm), and R is the radius
of the ball (cm).

Or, using a small ball, with radius R much smaller than the radius
of the terminal :

V=E*4*d/(2*d/R+1+sqrt((2*d/R+1)^2+8));

The same formula applies (more exactly) to a spark to a large plane,
with R being the radius of the terminal.

Formulas from the "North Report".

The first formula gives results for my double VDG that are in the
expected range. The second I didn't try.

Antonio Carlos M. de Queiroz