Re: TC resonance estimation?

Hi Mike,

At 10:42 PM 7/17/2002 -0700, you wrote:
>On Wed, 2002-07-17 at 23:14, Tesla list wrote:
>> Original poster: "Terry Fritz" <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>
>>
>> Hi Mike,
>>
>> E-Tesla6 has a file in the ZIP called E-Tesla611.C which is the original
>> pretty plain C-code program that "should" directly port and compile to any
>> C compiler (it's like open source, steal as you please, free ware ;-)).
>>
>> http://hot-streamer-dot-com/TeslaCoils/Programs/E-Tesla6.zip
>>
>> I think it will "go" on GCC and I thought I "really actually" did it
>> once...  I am no C UNIX programming genius, but let me know if you need
>> help and I'll try to figure it out.  I have a SUN Solaris computer so I am
>> not "supposed" to be totally clueless when it comes to UNIX :-))
>
>I downloaded it and compiled it with a quick gcc E-Tesla611.c -o tesla
>-lm and it compled fine, then I ran the output and it seems to run fine,
>so I think its workable out of the box.  If you could give me an output
>of the program on windows with the included input.txt I could compare
>and make sure it really worked.

Oh good!  It still works ;-)  We made it super simple so it could be ported
easily.

It's actualy a DOS not Windows program but it runs in Windows DOS emulator.
 A screen capture is at:

http://hot-streamer-dot-com/temp/E-Tesla6.gif

The output file is at:

http://hot-streamer-dot-com/temp/output.txt

>> Let me know if you can't get it to go for you and we'll figure something
>> out.  I don't think any of the Java website's have it as a web-browser
>> thing?  I could easily post up a UNIX version too if I had one.  Nice to
>> know there are a few pure UNIX folks out there ;-))
>
>It seems to work ;).  As I said above if I had an output file from it
>working on windows I could be sure.

The file data.txt has a bunch of test cases too.  If it does not crash, it
probably works ;-))  Normally it will use the input file automatically or
if there is not input.txt file it will ask for data input from the
keyboard.  I am not sure that works completely gracefully if it is ported,
but it should work one way or another.  You probably know how to fix it in
any case ;-)

>I develop software under linux for linux systems (or I did untill I got
>layed off...), so thats the reason why I am almost 100% linux kinda guy.
>

>> MandK is a pure Windoze thing but your friends can run it for you ;-)
>
>I could run it, assuming it will run in w2k.  I could fire up VMWare on
>one of my other linux boxes and run it there in a w2k session.  But now
>I am a bit lazy ;)

It is a text based simple running DOS program too, so maybe a DOS emulator
would work.  There is a PDF instruction file at:

http://hot-streamer-dot-com/TeslaCoils/Programs/MANDKV31.PDF

>> I think all the others are on Java web pages now.
>>
>> Paul has a bunch of super nice high-level programs in UNIX too at:
>>
>> http://www.abelian.demon.co.uk/tssp/
>>
>> which are very sophisticated and can do far more.
>
>I have just now started looking at this page.  It looks cool so far.  I
>have noticed that most of these programs are for modeling a normal or
>traditional coil.  Is there any software or even a web page that
>describes what I would need to know to apply all this to a direct drive
>coil?  I plan on just driving a single tesla solinoid type coil with a
>custom flyback type xfmer I have here.  Hopefully it can handle the
>current...  Do you know of any web sites that I could look at that
>describe this kind of arrangement?  Has anyone on this list done this?

I am sure someone has but I can't think of a site at the moment.

>Oh, and what is a good web page that explains what all the input
>parameters the Tesla6 program needs are for?  I am a definate newbie in
>this area, so I need all the help I can get ;).

See the included txt files.  I think the "readme" was where I put the
instructions.  The program produces data files too.  They have XLS
extensions but they are plain text files any spreedsheet or math program
can pickup to plot out:

http://hot-streamer-dot-com/andrewb/

Glad the program works for you.  We spent a lot of time on it and we didn't
make the rev level number up ;-))  It was actually a DOS BASIC program most
of its life till some real C programmers help me port it and make it vaslty
faster.  We keep the original program intact as a basis but you can modify
it as you please.

Cheers,

	Terry