Re: Trapped Water Ground

> I am trying to find a suitable RF ground for my tesla

> coil secondary.  Since I live in an apartment, I do not

> have too many options.  I am moving away from grounding

> to the electrical system and am considering grounding

> to the  trapped water system in the apartment.  This

> system circulates hot water throughout the apartments

> in the building through a metal pipe.  I am
> wondering if I can simply ground to this metal pipe.
	I wouldn't.

> Does this sound like a suitable ground?
	Two answers:

		If alone, it might well work.
		Its likely grounded.
		I'd fear that if driven with RF at any
		height, the distance from there to real
		ground would be an antenna...

		Also:
> Is this a safe ground for others in the building?
	I'd NOT use it, for just that reason.

	Stray RF would populate the whole building.

	There are some hobbies that don't work in
	apartments....

	Allegedly True Story:
	Ham operator had an ocean side cottage.
	After some trail and error (sandy soil) he discovered
	he could get a DANDY transmitting ground by coupling
	to the septic/wastewater system.
	Until.
	He keyed up on XXXMHz, with a guest In The John, and
	found that the John (YToilet/WC) was 1/4 wave away
	from where he tied in.  (hint: Voltage peak 1/4
	wave away....)

> Is there any way to measure the quality of this ground with

> a multimeter?

	An initial evaluation could be done by ohming to
	'safety ground'.  This would be a DC measurement, not
	the best indication for coiling...

	best
	dwp

...the net of a million lies...