NST rebuilds

Original poster: "Steven Ward by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <srward16-at-hotmail-dot-com>

HI,

Ive rebuilt transformers before and had success with each(I knew what was
wrong with each tranformer, ie, i blew them with a TC).  Recently, i picked
up about 15 busted transformers at a sign shop.  Unfortunately my friend was
there earlier and took most of the 60 ma units.  But anyways, i was noteing
some test results with just testing the transformers(if youre lucky some
will work! i was lucky with one).  So here are some characteristics of these
transformers.  All of them are magnetek(jefferson), or france.

1.  One or both windings show no sign of arcing.

2.  One side or both show very weak tiny sparks(1/20").

3.  One side is strong, the other dead or very weak.

4.  or a combo of any of these.

Now, im wondering if anyone can tell me whether or not these are signs of a
good rebuild(tar broke down), or a bad pointless rebuild(winding broken
down).  Id really love if i can get a few of these 15/60s working again.  So
far ive been working on an Allonson 15/30, for a smaller coil and for
practice.  Also, does anyone know if a broken down winding has any specific
characteristics??  Any other info anyone can give will be helpful.

Steve Ward.