Re: Digital O-scopes for TC use

I don't know that a disk drive for a portable scope (which will get
dropped, banged, thrown in the back of the car/truck) is such a hot idea.
For a "benchtop portable" scope which is really more of a "transportable",
perhaps.

the GPIB/IEEE-488 interface is all well and good, but expensive to use: You
need a 488 interface card for your PC and 488 cables are wretchedly
expensive (being all those shielded parallel wires).  A pain to program,
sometimes, depending on software.

I'd go with Serial interface (RS232) or Ethernet, both of which are also
available on most scopes these days.  Serial is slower, but cheaper and a
"lowest common denominator".  Ethernet is becoming more common, and really,
really fast.

There is a web site somewhere with a huge database of "fair" prices for all
manner of Tek oscilloscopes.  I don't recall how they come by their
numbers, but last time I looked (a year ago), it was very credible.  Used
oscilloscope prices are all over the map for the same model, so shop around.

Be aware of:
1) calibration status (may or may not be of importance to you, but has a
big effect on price)
2) CRT age/life (older scopes may have older tubes, and replacement CRTs
are VERY expensive, not to mention the replacement and recalibration is a
pain to do)

Tesla list wrote:

> Original poster: "Mccauley, Daniel H by way of Terry Fritz
<twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <daniel.h.mccauley-at-lmco-dot-com>