Re: the cure for racing sparks

Original poster: "Antonio Carlos M. de Queiroz by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <acmq-at-compuland-dot-com.br>

Tesla list wrote:

> Original poster: "Paul Nicholson by way of Terry Fritz
<twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <paul-at-abelian.demon.co.uk>

> > the coupling coefficient measured in both directions is exactly
> > the same
>
> Marc,
> Antonio is of course correct, and I seem to remember giving a
> similar answer when you asked me about this some time ago.
>
> But I've since wondered about some possibilities that may arise.
> For example, if heavy streamer loading or a solid discharge arc
> is present on the topload, this alters the tuning of the resonator
> and is likely to trap some energy in the secondary.

At this point, the coil aready did what it could do. The energy
trapped in the self-capacitance of the secondary coil is really
not immediately available, and will usually oscillate until
dissipated.
The simple lumped model canīt predict what happens next in
this case. A model including extra capacitances along the
secondary coil is required. Maybe those models that we discussed
some time ago, in a version (surely possible) including the
primary circuit.
But when recing sparks appear, is the coil producing streamers,
or in this case, sparks to ground?

Antonio Carlos M. de Queiroz