Re: the cure for racing sparks

Original poster: "boris petkovic by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <petkovic7-at-yahoo-dot-com>

Hi Paul,

> #8 Discharges to earth from the topload
> redistributes the coil's
>    remaining stored energy into a 1/2 wave mode with
> a volts max
>    around a third to half height.
---
All I know about such evens is that secondary tries to
release its energy as soon as possible.
It was (to my surprise) completely opposite to case
when straight antena (tx line) working in 1/4 wave
mode suddently contects its top to ground in  moment
of voltage peak.Solving partial dif. equation of
D'Alambert type shows exactly what you said :remaining
energy gradually redistributes to oscillate in 1/2
wave fashion.
Such gradual transitions to 1/2 mode in TC discharges
are quite ignored.Seems that intrisic C and mutual
inductive couplings of coil work togather quite well
in one direction :to release most of energy in  Mhz
burst.
I have heard of some coilers that racing arcs of coil
stopped when they drew power arc to ground (while in
"streamer" mode of operation racing arcs  were
present).So ,looks there is contradition
here:sometimes The cure for racing sparks are power
arcs!

regards,
Boris