Re: Natural streamer :)

Tesla list wrote:

> Original poster: "BunnyKiller by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>"
<bigfoo39-at-telocity-dot-com>

> Hi All...

> Just saw one of the most really cool things about 15 min ago..   (
> 10:17am 07-14-02)

> I was going to go pick the wife up from work and while I was sitting at
> the stop lite, I looked over to my left and saw a streamer growing off
> the top of a metal lamp post frame. It started about 1' in length and
> increased to about 9' in about 2 seconds. and you guessed it ....
>  lightning struck ...   blew the cap off of the pole and all the lights
> down the street went out. Darn near hurt myself trying to jump away from
> the window while in the car...   ( kinda funny now that you think of it )

	Yep.  Most lighting strikes involve a 'ground leader'
	(wrong term) rising to meet the down leader.

> Always heard about the pre strike streamers forming before a strong
> strike but thought I'd never see one...

	There are some folks who make livings doing lighting pix.
	One, on developing a shot from a 'robot' camera which
	included HIM in its field of view, was 'shocked' (8)>>)
	to see that there had been a leader forming NEAR HIM...

> kinda makes me wonder if mini streamers form on the grounded

> object our  coils go for....

	You betcha.

	I'd expect that running a coil 'just under breakout',

	in full dark, would show lots of 'leaders'.

	best
	dwp

...the net of a million lies...
	Vernor Vinge