Re: Strike Rail question

Original poster: "by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <Mddeming-at-aol-dot-com>

In a message dated 7/11/02 10:07:48 AM Eastern Daylight Time, tesla-at-pupman-dot-com
writes:

> Hi Dan,
>
> I always thought that if it was an entire ring, it would be like another
> winding feeding off of the primary, and since being shorted would draw lots
> of power.  But this isn't what I'm writing to tell you, and that's probably
> not
> really why.  I feel that strike rings are pointless.  I'm sure some will
> disagree, but all of my coils arc the primary constantly with no damage what
> so ever.  And to further prove my point, my friends large 1.5kw coil can
> throw a thick 4 footer down into the primary with no harm done.  I think
> that the strike ring draws the arcs in since its an inch or so higher, but
> maybe an inch or so isn't really a big deal.  I just wanted you to know that
> it really isn't necessary, but someone please correct me if I'm wrong, I
> don't
> want to mislead anyone.  Good luck with your coil Dan.
>
> Steve Ward

Steve,
       Your argument is like "Yes, I have ridden a motorcycle without wearing a
helmet and I'm not crippled - yet. Therefore helmets are totally unnecessary
and have no safety value." The same reasoning applies to unprotected
interpersonal relationships. :-((
It only takes once.
Matt D.