the cure for racing sparks

Original poster: "D.C. Cox by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <DR.RESONANCE-at-next-wave-dot-net>

Steve:

Two things come to mind.  First, racing sparks are usually caused by either
too small a toroid on top which provides ineffective electostatic field
control down the coil and second, the usual culprit, not enough available
inductance in the primary (too few turns) to hit the proper tuning point.
You are tuning at the wrong primary resonance point.

A 12 inch sphere is adequate, but keep it as close to the winding as
possible, ie, no more than 1/4-1/2 inch away.

A second note is that you may be "overcoupled" which causes the
"double-hump" on the freq, ie, splitting the res. freq. into two different
freqs which beat against each other.  Try elevating your sec. coil. or
moving your primary further out.  With this size coil we get 28 inch sparks
(our model M-20).  The sec. is elevated 1 full inch above the primary coils
horizontal plane and the pri to sec coilform spacing is also 1 inch.

The first thing to do is get rid of your present primary and set up some
scrap 12 AWG house wiring on cardboard (cut slits for the wire).  Set up
this test with about 30 turns and adjust tuning with variac at 30 % and your
spark gap set close together.  In many cases the racing sparks are caused
because you simply do not have enough available primary turns to find the
tuning point.  After tuning carefully with scrap wire you will find the
correct tuning point and then it's time to replace it with your beautiful
primary.

I would be willing to bet when you do this you will hit the proper tunig
point and then the racing sparks will go away totally.  Remember, they only
occur when you are grossly out of tune.

Dr. Resonance