Re: A challenge

Original poster: "by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <network-at-neXband-dot-com>

Hey Dan,
  I guess I consider myself lucky because my girlfriend has taken an
interest in my coiling with exceptions.  The main exception is that the
noise scares her.  Because of this, I'm going to try to enclose my rotary
spark gap to cut down on sound levels.  I have caught alot of flack from
many saying "your gonna get killed" and "I'm gonna turn on the news one
day and there you'll be".  I get that from nearly everyone!  Not to make
lightly of safety issues, I've explained about the skin effect and how the
most dangerous amprege is in the tank circut and not necessarily the final
output but I guess all they hear is blah blah blah.  I guess you could say
that other than the coilers here on the list, I only have one person who
doesn't knock my hobby.  I try to show my coil to as many as possible in
hopes that some more will take interest in the hobby.  I don't even know
of anyone in the same state that I live in that is coiling.  Hmmm, maybe I
should trade this hobby in for stamp collecting...............NAW, I DON'T
THINK SO!!!!:))
  I'm interested to see what others say about your problem.  Good luck on
your quest for approval from your wife.

P.S.
Ever notice that you don't hear of anyone getting killed by a coil
compared to power line workers getting killed everyday.  It reminds me of
how you hear of more swimmers drowning than scuba divers!  I like to think
this is due to the fact that we try to stay more safety conscience and
don't become "comfortable" with HV.