Re: A challenge

Original poster: "Paul Marshall by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <klugmann-at-hotmail-dot-com>

Dan,
  In the beginning my loving wife refered to my lab as the crap room, a true
term of endearment. Well I brought in some pretty heavy equipment a 450 lb
pole pig 14.4 Kv at 1.75 ampers. I made my own caps out of .060 poly sheet
and lots of aluminum foil. total capacitance .11 Uf.  My coil was 6" in dia.
and capable of pumping out 18 Kw. The streamers were over 8' in length. It
took her a long time to reconcile the fact that the coil was here to stay.
Today she just ignores the coil and respects my endevors a little more. Just
start out with a table top coil a show her how safe it is, "Below 250w "
Then build a bigger and better model. Its funny I once used X-ray cable as a
capacitor and powered my coil with a 15Kv neon at 30 ma. It zapped me once
but actually didn't hurt too bad. The crack scared me more than the bite.

Good luck.

PS: I'm sure things will work out for you.

>From: "Tesla list" <tesla-at-pupman-dot-com>
>To: tesla-at-pupman-dot-com
>Subject: A challenge
>Date: Tue, 09 Jul 2002 13:17:26 -0600
>
>Original poster: "by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>"
><dan.gallagher-at-pulsartech-dot-com>
>
>Hey folks,
>I am so glad to be a part of this list. You all are valuable resources and
>I greatly appreciate it.
>
>On that note, I have a problem that may be solved with your
>expertise/experience.
>
>My wife is scared to death of Tesla coils. She makes a face and nags (for
>lack of a better word) at me every time I mention anything related to it.
>All she can think about is my coil killing someone and us getting sued and
>our lives ruined.
>
>I really don't want to go through a divorce over this and even if I have to
>be solo in enjoying my TC I will do so. But it seems a shame not to share
>this cool thing with others, especially kids, or at a haunted house. But
>she won't hear of that.
>
>HELP! You single folks are so lucky, stay that way.
>
>Thanks
>Dan
>Ft. Lauderdale

Paul S. Marshall