RE: High Power Solid State Tesla Coil - Successful Test (EMI Susceptibility Question)

Original poster: "Ray Haynes by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <ray.haynes-at-attbi-dot-com>

Just wanted to jump in here and ask a question / make a comment.

Do you worry about EMI messing with your driver circuits? I was very
surprised when I was at the NorCal Teslathon last year to have my 35mm
camera hang up twice while trying to photograph a Greg's large coil. I
was probably 30-40 feet back. Each time I had to open the camera (in the
dark so I didn't lose the roll) to get it to reset and begin working
again.

The size of the circuit in the camera presents a much smaller antenna
than your driver pcb traces. I was wondering if a Faraday shield over
the PCBs might be a good idea and possibly some filtering on the signals
coming into the shielded area. This might be especially important as you
push the power level up.

Or maybe I'm way off base but as a high speed digital/analog designer
this is the kind of coupling I would be worried about with the mix of
low power ICs in a high power field.

Comments...

Ray Haynes
Antelope, CA