Re: Hot Primary

Original poster: "James by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <mustang3-at-cox-dot-net>

Hi All,
    As to the primary getting hot. The primary on my big coil (12 in dia. X
62 in winding( equiv #17)) gets very hot after 30 secs of operation. It's
wound with 5/8 o.d. copper tubing. I use a ARSG(dc motor, 90 V.) with a
static gap in series, 99 Nf cap, and a 14.4 Kv pole xmfr. Current draw is
40-50 amps. now. I have melted some of the ty-wraps hold the primary to it's
plastic combs. I suppose that a primary of copper ribbon would be better. I
need about .090 thick X 1.5 copper ribbon. I hate to think what this will
cost. Normally I adjust the ARSG for min popping and banging of the RSG. The
electrodes are 1/4 tungstens.

Later,

James